R-E-S-P-E-C-T Nature



Nature is brilliant. Being in and around mountains, rivers, trees and trails is what saved my life this past year. Nature is there when I need it, doesn't judge, envelops me with its beauty and makes me feel strong. When my soul felt the most diminished it ever has, it took a 18 mile hike into the mountains all by myself to make me feel alive again. That feeling of accomplishment, the adrenaline rush of reaching a destination or the summit of a mountain and seeing views with your own eyes that many will only view on a computer screen is a rush. It's addicting. When you have been hiking or mountaineering for much of your life, I think one starts to take certain aspects of nature for granted. It is so is big and beautiful and free that we forget how dangerous it can really be.



 Nature is also scary. Not scary enough to keep me out of it, but enough to instill a deep respect for the forces of nature. They have the ability to be so much stronger than we can imagine. I've been through some pretty intense storms complete with falling trees, crazy fast wind and lightning while on the trail or camping, but I have never experienced and real natural disasters like hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes and avalanches. Out of all of these, its avalanches that make me nervous the most. Similar to earthquakes they are completely unpredictable. I have few good friends are big into back country skiing and guide snowmobiles in avalanche prone areas, so I have had to teach myself to let go some of the anxieties I had in regards to their safety in the situation, and learn to trust their abilities. They're aware of what they are getting themselves into, know what to look for in dangerous situations, and understand that accidents can happen to even the best of them. It's the people that think they are invincible that I worry about the most. Their stupidity could easily get the people I care about into trouble, and that makes me angry. Like "mama bear" angry. It isn't a pretty sight.



I just happened to be halfway through Into Thin Air, the book by Jon Krakauer about his experience on Everest that ended with 11 people dying on the mountain when I heard about the most recent earthquake and resulting avalanche that swept through base camp. Its unbelievably sad to think of how many lives have been lost. From base camp to further down in Nepal the death toll is a staggering estimated 5000 people, and it continues to rise every day. It is important to remember that nature is in charge. We have no control over it, and the human race doesn't handle lack of control well. Perhaps that is why nature feels the need to put us in our place now and again.

I can safely say that I have no aspirations to climb Everest. I never really did as there are plenty of mountains out there to fulfill my need for adventure. What Jons story, and the recent tragedy did teach me was whatever situation you are going into, prepare yourself for anything, carry a healthy dose of caution, and great amount of respect for your surroundings and the forces of nature. Be careful to not take it for granted and never mistake silence to weakness. Take what it freely gives you with love and respect, and it can be a beautiful relationship. In a war of wills however, nature will, in one way or another, always win.




No comments