Central Park




I realize that I am jumping all over the place. I have a lot I want to document, and there is a lot of sorting and organizing of the UK trip photos that still needs to be done. Instead of putting this on hold, I am going to forge a head and finish one of the other dozen posts I have planned. Too many travel photos to go through... Very much a first world problem, right? So, forging ahead!



Central Park in New York City is gorgeous. And on a nice day, crammed full of people. I did the southern half of the park in a few hours and still didn't see everything I wanted to even after clocking 8 miles on my fitbit. I entered the park at the Columbus Circle corner. Water is my favorite thing to capture. It is never the same twice... I'm a little obsessed.







I have a tendency to gravitate towards less crowded paths and trails, so I probably wasn't on the most efficient route through the park to make it everywhere I wanted to go. I did wander around to Strawberry Fields, which has a peaceful energy, despite the crowds all trying to get the perfect selfie with the Imagine mosaic. I wasn't going for a selfie, but just wanted a photo without a human planted in the middle of it. Meh... I failed.


What I found most beautiful about this tribute to John Lennon, is the fact that over 120 countries donated money to maintain Strawberry Fields or planted flowers. To me, it proves how far the reach of music and a message of love and peace can reach. 




I made my way towards the lake next. I found a nice winding dirt footpath that offered some great views.



The Bethesda Terrace and Fountain are probably one of the most recognized and iconic things in Central Park. The sculptures are beautiful and depict the 4 seasons. The fountain itself is well over 150 years old having been built in 1859. When I was there there were a handful of classical musicians playing which just kind of completed the idyllic picture of what everyone wants the heart of central park to look and feel like.





I made my way around the lake, and actually walked through Belvedere Castle somehow, without taking a single photo. I think I had stashed everything in my bag because of the rain. At any rate, the last few photos of this post are of the Alice in Wonderland statue and a few random photos throughout the park. 

As beautiful as it is, Central Park is still in the heart of Manhattan and is surrounded by sky scrapers. This decidedly non city dweller started to feel claustrophobic after a few hours and made my way out of the park, out of the city and into more familiar surroundings in New Jersey. On this trip I did find areas I really loved that would make other extended stays in the city enjoyable, thank goodness... and I will post about them later. I still have a few Central Park related bucket list items like renting a boat, or riding a bike to all four corners in the same day... but those will have to wait until next time!







No comments