Happy Monday and 5 Good Things

Happy Holidays! 

2016 really has been a craptastic year. I don't think I have ever been so ready to start fresh. The last few months have especially been hard, ending with some quite massive plumbing repairs needing to be done.  I'm talking ripping up floors, in the house and tearing up out patio in the back yard. That definitely put the kibosh to some end of the year traveling we had wanted to do. Adulting in the form of home ownership definitely isn't always fun... At any rate, it hasn't ALL been bad, thankfully. Here are a few good things that came out of the last week.




1. Christmas
It really was a nice Christmas, even if I am very relieved that it is over. Celebrating without my family is different. After being raised with the holidays being very centered around family, its strange to find yourself trying to celebrate without them. I don't think I will ever get used to it, honestly. We did it though! We made some nice goodies, and a really nice meal. Played games and watched movies on Christmas Eve with some friends.




2. Movie Marathons
We have a silly tradition of watching all of the Harry Potter movies over Christmas break. It started about 6 years ago when we found a few mice had been getting into our bedroom through a break in the floorboards in the very corner of my closet. I wouldn't sleep in there after traps and bait had been set, so we set up an air mattress in the living room floor and marathon-ed Harry Potter until I deemed it safe to return. It was so much fun that it became our own little tradition. Somewhere along the line we added the Lord of the Rings movies, when time allows, anyway. As I am writing this, we are about halfway through Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Generally we have other projects going on while watching the movies, but sometimes we just cuddle with the dogs on the couch and enjoy doing nothing. And sometimes we snooze...We work crazy hours between Thanksgiving and Christmas, so every nap is well deserved!



3. Snow!!!
The last week Boise had gotten about 10 inches of snow, and its beautiful and amazing and I love every single flake!!! There was a strange day right in the middle of the snow where we got some freezing rain while we were working. Not a huge fan of that, scraping a giant sheet of ice has its challenges, but it made for some fun photos. Fortunately the snow returned. We arranged it so we didn't have anywhere to be on the 23rd. I was able to bake and watch movies with a gorgeous fire in the fireplace and watch it snow ALL damn day. Hopefully later this week we can put our snow shoes to good use!





4. Tardis and Doctor Who
My nerd is showing and I don't even care. I popped into a local shop for some last minute gifts and they have a full size Tardis replica. Its amazing. Christmas also brought the Doctor Who Christmas special. As my fellow Whovians know, its been a full year since the last episode so we are all chomping at the bit... not cool BBC!




5. John Muir Trail Planning
I know its a ways out, but I am really happy about this endeavor. I'm applying for permits soon as you have to apply 168 days prior to your preferred dates. I received trail specific maps and a new lightweight backpackers tent along with some other random backpacking supplies for Christmas so its all becoming very real, and VERY EXCITING!


No comments